Monday, December 3, 2007

Methodology of Approach

My cross-cultural encounter has led me to look at and study several different types of mediums. For me, the closest thing to actually traveling to Tibet is looking at pictures, photographs, and images of Tibet. However, I have also come to understand that all picture sof Tibet have some form of bias whether good or bad which is directly related to the individual who has taken the picture. Therefore, with this is mind, I have been able to make myself look critically at photographs and try to find signs of bias. For instance, I ask myself who could have taken this photo, who is the photographer trying to interest or grab the attention of, was this photograph taken by a Tibetan native or an outsider?



Other than visual images of Tibet I have read different literary texts explaining about Tibetan traditions, rituals and other aspects of the culture. It has been more difficult than I expected to set aside my own prejudices and preconceived notions of what made Tibet - Tibet. However, I believe that now I have come to a new understanding of Tibet. The literary texts I have examined have included sites campaigning for freeing Tibet and building up a new country of Tibet, I have looked at government websites which give very little detail on the intricacies of Tibetan culture and seem to focus more on the factual elements of Tibet such as religion, population, national identity, at sites such as these no mention of the crisis which Tibet has been wrapped up in and how this could effect ( or even change) what the religion or population of Tibet consists of. Another aspect of this encounter which has been difficult for me is not believing everything I read. I often become so enthralle din what I am reading that I forget that I shoudl be reading with a critical and questioning mind.

No comments: